Everyone knows those people who's got wide shoulders, V-shaped back, big chest and big arms, so have an athletic shape from waist to neck.
But then you look at their legs and they are tiny, model legs, which hardly can hold their bodyweight.
Those people are the ones who always skip leg days. Always! They find an excuse all the time not to train their legs.
I hope you are not one of them!
To keep it simple:
- If you want a great looking body, you need to train your legs too, otherwise your body will not be proportional and that makes people look funny.
- If your goal is to lose fat, you will need to train legs as well because the more muscles you use, the more energy you burn during and after your sessions.
Training, especially training legs are not easy. Not at all...
At some point during your leg sessions you might want to stop, you might feel that you cannot cope with the muscle pain, the burning sensation anymore, you want to quit.
But you keep training because your goals are in front of your eyes. You know where you want to be and this is the way how you can get there.
I have a goal too. And to get there I train my legs in a hardcore way.
I recently started an 8-week long experiment on myself. I've read about a training method which sounded quite interesting and I thought why not give it a go.
WARNING! INJURY PREVENTION! IF YOU HAVE JUST STARTED WORKING OUT, DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD. IF YOU CANNOT SQUAT PROPERLY, DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD!
LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED A TRAINING PROGRAM OR ANY HELP WITH THE PROPER TECHNIQUE.
The trainig plan is quite simple. It looks like this:
- back squat - 1 set
- leg extension - 2 sets
- hamstring curl - 3 sets
(Exercises are on the video at the bottom, recorded last week)
Simple, isn't it? ;) It sounds like it, but it isn't, believe me. Here are the details:
- on the first session start squatting with about the 30% of your 1RM (1 repetition maximum) and don't stop for 2 minutes!
- straight after perform 2 sets of 30 repetitions of leg extensions with 1 minute rest between sets
- at the end perform 3 sets of hamstring curls in the following way: find the weight that you can move only 6-8 times in the full range, rest 10-12 second and lift again until you cannot bend your knees at all.
The important part:
- on every session add 20 seconds to your time of squatting - start with 2 minutes and try to increase the time until the end of the 8th week.
- train legs this way twice a week but make sure that you are resting enough between sessions (I train them on Monday and Thursday)
That's it. Have fun ;)
Because today is Thursday, this is the day of my next leg workout.
Today I will squat for 4 minutes and aiming to squat at least 105 times (on Monday I performed 98 reps in 3:40 minutes).
Please, send me energy, motivation and basically anything which might drive me through this workout.
I will let you know my result.